|Whaleback Software, Inc.
Microprocessor based product development
ioBrick: Remote I/O Module|
ioBrick remote digital input and output control and monitoring device
Whaleback Software designed the complete software package for the ioBrick, a remote digital input
and output control and monitoring device. This product was specially designed for the electric power industry
to be located in areas where high transient voltages and electrical noise exist. We chose a fiber optic Ethernet
connection for reliable noise-free communications.
Software components designed by Whaleback include:
Whaleback worked closely with the end-customer, the manufacturer, a hardware design firm, and a
marketing/integration firm to bring this product to market.
- Fault-tolerant multi-tasking pre-emptive operating system
- Remote reading and writing of flash memory program code and configuration data
- Millisecond resolution sequence-of-events (SOE) recording
- Custom TCP/IP and UDP/IP communications stack
- Power on self-test (POST) and continuous on-line diagnostics
- IRIG-B (satellite based) time synchronization
- Ethernet (both fiber optic and copper), RS-485, and RS-232 communication links
- Boot loader and driver initialization software
- Watchdog logic protecting all tasks
- Interface to third party DNP communications library
We chose the C language for the embedded software with a portion of the boot loader, driver, and
operating system code written in ARM Assembly language.
Circuit boards for the ioBrick.
Power and I/O board is on the left; communications and CPU board is on the right.
Whaleback Software, Inc. ·
280 Tucker Road ·
Limington, ME 04049 ·